Breast augmentation surgery is cosmetic surgery to increase the size of the breasts. For breast augmentation, saline implants are surgically placed inside the breasts. Saline implants consist of sterile saline (saltwater) encased within a sac.
If you are considering having breast augmentation surgery,
• Be informed by extensive reading about the possible side effects of the procedure.
• Talk to other women about their experiences with the procedure.
• Consult a plastic surgeon about the different methods and possible side effects of the procedure.
After becoming informed about breast augmentation surgery, you can make the decision whether the procedure is appropriate for you.
• FDA. Breast Implant Consumer Handbook. 2004. Accessed at www.fda.gov/cdrh/breastimplants.
• Most breast implants rupture over time. Accessed at www.mercola.com.
• I. Rosenthal. Breast implants: America’s silent epidemic. Total Health for Longevity Magazine. 2002.